The Gear Dynamics and Gear Noise Research Laboratory (GearLab) was established 1980 by Professor Donald R. Houser with initial sponsorship of three companies. Growth of the lab has been very steady since its beginning, with the number of sponsoring companies and government agencies now exceeding 70.
The GearLab merged with the research group of Professor Ahmet Kahraman (Centerfor Gear Research, University of Toledo) in 2003, expanding capabilities of GearLab into other areas of gear and power transmission research. Professor Kahraman took over the duties as Director of GearLab from Professor Houser in 2006, who retired from active teaching. Because of the broad range of research topics funded by the consortium, opportunities have arisen to perform research studies for independent companies and government agencies.
Since its inception, research expenditures of GearLab at Ohio State have exceeded $15 million. Over the years, more than 150 MS and Ph.D. students were supported by the GearLab, most of who are now employed by the power transmission industry (See the list of GearLab Alumni). Two industrial short courses on gear noise were developed and offered to the industry periodically by Drs. Houser and Singh, educating more than 1950 engineers from over 360 companies on the subject matter.
The GearLab moved to its new state-of-the-art facilities in Scott Laboratory in 2006. Its laboratory facilities arenamed as The Gleason Gear and Power Transmission Laboratory, thanks to a generous gift from the Gleason Family Foundation. GearLab changed its official name in 2008 to The Gear and Power Transmission Research Laboratory in order to better represent its current research activities and research focus.